Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Here's what I wrote this morning:

We're headed into day two of the conference. Dad helped me set up mobile blogging this morning, so hopefully I'll be able to blog more.

Yesterday we learned about some key elements in biblical counseling (they were: build loving involvement, share biblical hope, gather relevant data, evaluate the problem biblically, provide biblical instruction, and assign practical homework), heart idolatry, spiritual growth, heart change, and walking in the light. It was a full day.

And now, on this snowy day,we're making our way to the church for round two. I'll keep you updated.


Unfortunately, I was not able to "keep you updated". But I did try. After the first session I wrote:

Our first session this morning was about different counseling philosophies. We talked about Depth Psychology, Behaviorism,Third Force, and Biblical counseling. And we got to watch Veggietales! Check out Silly Songs With Larry "I Love My Lips".

It was shortly after this that I found out that my posts weren't coming through.
I'd like to add a little more detail to that last post though. I thought that it was very interesting that all the first three counseling methods that we looked at (Depth Psychology, Behaviorism, and Third Force), teach that people are not responsible for the problems that they get into. They also teach that the guilt that comes from these actions is either not important, or else it is a false guilt. On the other hand, biblical counseling teaches that people are responsible for their actions and the problems that they cause, and the guilt that they feel is real, and is a result of their sin.

In the afternoon today, we learned about the importance of organizing the information that you get from your counselees. We had a couple sample cases, and we practiced writing down information that we needed in an organized fashion (with mixed success).
We also talked about communication, and repentance. Lastly, I went to a session by Martha Peace, about how to help woman who are deeply emotionally disturbed.

Now I need to get some sleep. I think that I've got the mobile blogging all figured out now, so Lord willing, I'll be able to blog easily tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment